Saturday, November 29, 2014

Coconut Rum Cake with Rum Glaze



When my aunt told me that all I needed to bring was a dessert for thanksgiving, I immediately begin to think of all the awesome concoctions that I have seen on Pinterest and wanted to try. With a recent encounter with a fabulous Rum Cake from Jamaica at an older cousin’s house, I wanted to give rum cake a shot. Lately, I have been being really daring when it comes to baking or cooking stuff for the first time for someone. I don’t know about you but usually I’d stick to those tried and true recipes because with trying a new recipe you are bound to make notes for the next time like…

“It’s too sweet, I’ll make it with less sugar next time” or
“I think I left it in the oven too long, I’ll cut back 15 minutes the next time that I cook it”

Well, I took the cake out too early and after a minute I realized it still a little too moist. I put it back in and went on about my business but around the time I remembered putting it back in I could already smell that distinct burnt smell. I ran into the kitchen to find a slightly darkened or burnt (let’s just be real) cake. Thank goodness it wasn’t that bad and the directions called for poking holes and drizzling the glaze inside the cake!! So, I finished up the cake, put the lid on the cake carrier to prepare for Thanksgiving. Besides, it was family so they wouldn’t talk about me too bad if it didn’t turn out right. ß That statement was to make myself feel better. They would’ve had a good laugh at my expense while I was there and after I had left. Don’t worry, I would’ve laughed right along with them.
Dinner had been served and the family was in different parts of the house hanging out. I’m sitting upstairs in the living room watching Millionaire Matchmaker(Patti if you ever happen to read this. I would love to work for you one day.) So I was swept up in the show and someone said, “Is this the cake everyone is talking about?.” Lo and behold it was my cake which at this time was half gone!!! I didn’t even know anyone had started eating it. Then my uncle commented about how I made some people very happy downstairs. It made me feel so good to hear all the giggle and see the smiling faces after they ate my rum cake. I was able to take home one slice and boy was I glad that I did. It was so yummy!
For anyone needing a quick and easy recipe that is sure to be a hit at your next event, do not pass this one up. The ratings speak for themselves!

Cake

  • 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
  • 1/2 cup toasted coconut
  • 1  18 ounce box yellow cake mix
  • 3.4 ounces (4-serving size) instant coconut pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cold milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup Malibu Coconut Rum

Glaze

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Malibu Coconut Rum

Preparation:

Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts and coconut on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. . Prick bottom of cake (still in pan) with wooden skewer. Drizzle 1/2 of glaze over holes in bottom of cake. Let sit for 40 minutes.  Invert cake onto cake plate and poke holes in the top with wooden skewer.  (I didn’t poke holes in the top portion of the cake) Poor or brush remaining glaze over top.
Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Note: The rum will cause steam so be careful not to burn yourself.
The original recipe using Bacardi Dark Rum can be found at about.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment